Chevy Volt owners were asked what they wanted from the next-generation car, and GM has answered with the 2016 Chevy Volt, which has improved upon the original in nearly every way. With 50 miles of all-electric driving per charge, 41 MPG when the new 1.5 liter gas generator takes over, and over 400 miles of range when the two drivetrains combine, the 2016 Chevy Volt is in every way a better vehicle. But can it put GM back on top of plug-in car sales?
I’d say there’s a mighty good chance of that, given that the new Volt is (at least up front) a better, more “conventional” looking car. While the taillights are a bit too reminiscent of a Honda Civic for my tastes, GM has gone to great lengths to integrate the Volt into the Chevy lineup with a more corporate, less “Look at me!” look. They also added a fifth-seat, which seems like a simple improvement but is one of the most asked-for improvements from customers.
There’s a tremendous amount of innovation and improvement that has gone into the 2016 Chevy Volt, such as the addition of the Cadillac ELR’s Regen on Demand system. You can find all of the improvements listed below while I get my butt to the next press conference.
2016 Volt highlights:
- New two-motor drive unit is up to 12 percent more efficient and 100 pounds lighter (45 kg) than the first-generation drive unit
Two-motor design enables 19 percent stronger zero-to-30 mph acceleration
- Battery capacity has increased to 18.4 kWh using 192 cells (96 fewer than current generation) with weight reduced by more than 20 pounds
- Regen on Demand™ feature enables driver control of energy regeneration via a convenient paddle on the back of the steering wheel
New 1.5L range extender, designed to use regular unleaded fuel, offers a combined GM-estimated fuel efficiency of 41 mpg (EPA estimate pending)
- Stronger body structure and quieter ride
- New braking system with improved capability and blended Regen feel
New, five-passenger seating with available rear heated seats
- Location-based charging capability
- 120V portable cord set has a simpler, compact design with more convenient storage location
Available illuminated charge port