Though the 2014 Formula E series is still almost a year away from its debut race, teams have been scrambling to find the money and know-how to gain entry to this all-new racing series. The Formula E has added some literal star power as Richard Branson’s Virgin and the Leonardo Dicaprio-backed Venturi team round out the roster for the opening season.
Branson’s Virgin Formula E team marks a return to racing after a 2011 departure after failing to dominate Formula One as planned. He’s obviously hoping for a fresh start in the Formula E series, and like most of the other teams, Virgin will likely use the Spark-Renault SRT_01E race car that’s been approved for the series.
The final team that has joined on with the 2014 Formula E season is Venturi, which has the backing of both Morracan royalty and Hollywood powerhouse Leonardo DiCaprio. Venturi has been involved in electric land speed racing for years, though the Formula E series is going to be a new experience all around.
With these two final additions, the full roster of Formula E teams is as follows;
- 1. Drayson Racing Formula E Team (UK)
- 2. China Racing Formula E Team (China)
- 3. Andretti Autosport Formula E Team (USA)
- 4. Dragon Racing Formula E Team (USA)
- 5. e.dams Formula E Team (France)
- 6. Super Aguri Formula E Team (Japan)
- 7. Audi Sport ABT Formula E Team (Germany)
- 8. Mahindra Racing Formula E Team (India)
- 9. Virgin Racing Formula E Team (UK)
- 10. Venturi Formula E Team (Monaco)
That’s a pretty well-rounded field if you ask me, and I’m looking forward to some neck-and-neck electric car racing come next year. Could Formula E perhaps be as big as even Formula One?