The newly-formed Formula E series has been slowly gaining momentum ahead of its September 2014 debut. The latest news from Formula E includes a teaser trailer, a provisional calendar, and another team to root for (or against).
The all-electric racing series will zip through ten iconic cities, enlisting some of the biggest names in racing to give this new contest of speed some legitimacy. McLaren, Drayson, and Andretti are just a few of the racing outfits fielding Formula E teams, and they’ll be joined by Jay Penske’s Dragon Racing, which just announced it is joining the electric racing series as well.
Most of the teams will use the official Spark-Renault SRT_01E racer, though some teams are supposedly sculpting race cars all their own. Each driver gets two cars, as Formula E will utilize car swapping rather than battery swapping, much to the chagrin of many racing enthusiasts. Yet there is still a lot to look forward to, and residents of ten world-class cities will experience electric racing first hand as the city shuts down for the hour-long competition.
The series will kick off in Asia, with Beijing hosting the opening race next September, and will hop around Asia before moving on to South America, the United States, and finishing up in Europe with London anchoring the last race. The success or failure of Formula E could affect the way people the world over regard electric cars, so there’s more than one reason to root for electricing racing.
2014/2015 FIA Formula E Championship – Provisional Calendar
- Round 1, Beijing, China*, 20th September 2014
- Round 2, Putrajaya, Malaysia, 18th October 2014
- Round 3, Hong Kong, China, 8th November 2014
- Round 4, Punta del Este, Uruguay, 13th December 2014
- Round 5, Buenos Aires, Argentina, 10th January 2015
- Round 6, Los Angeles, USA, 14th February 2015
- Round 7, Miami, USA, 18th April 2015
- Round 8, Monte Carlo, Monaco*, 9th May 2015
- Round 9, Berlin, Germany, 30th May 2015
- Round 10, London, UK, 27th June 2015