SSC, the producers of the world’s fastest production car, the Ultimate Aero, has announced plans for an all-electric version of the record breaking model. The Ultimate Aero EV (Electric Vehicle) is currently in development, with a 500 bhp version slated for release as early as late 2009 and a 1000 bhp 4WD EV also under consideration.
Sounds impressive huh? However, that’s not all… the press release also states “the drive train under development will feature a revolutionary power source allowing for extended time between charging intervals with the possibility of several years between charging.”
If you think this sounds perhaps a little over-ambitious, it might be worth suspending your disbelief at least for a short while. Remember, this is the same company that is capable of producing a car with a top speed of 256 mph and a track record of living up to past claims. According to SSC founder Jerod Shelby, “I think we can do it faster, leaner and cleaner than any other manufacturer.”
SSC hasn’t yet released any more details, other than that it expects to roll out a prototype in February 2009. Prepare for something pretty awesome, maybe there’ll be a mini nuclear power plant or some weird alien technology in there…
Posts Related to Electric/Alternative Super Cars:
- An Electric Car With Muscle: The 175 MPGe X1 Prototype by Wrightspeed Inc.
- Company Unveils Hydrogen Hybrid Supercar: Available Fall 2008
- San Jose Wins Bid For Tesla Electric Car Facility
- Dutch Company to Sell Cheap, Powerful Electric Cars by End of 2009
- Peugeot to Showcase RC Hybrid Concept at Paris Motor Show
- Tesla Begins Popping Roadster EVs Off Production Line
- Tesla Motors Sues Fisker Automotive Over Electric Car Design
Image Credit: SSC
Source: Business Week