The 2009 FIA Formula 1 drivers’ world champion, Jenson Button, is returning from retirement this weekend in Monaco for one last hurrah. “It feels slightly surreal to be back in the cockpit for the Monaco Grand Prix,” Button said. His teammate last year at Honda, Fernando Alonso, has been excused for this race so he can run in the Indy 500, which begins Sunday after noon ET.
Button, a former Monaco race winner who relinquished his seat at McLaren to Belgian rookie Stoffel Vandoorne at the end of the 2016 race season, told Sky Sports television he was excited. “When the chance came to race in Monaco, I was going to take it.”
Happy to be back in Monaco, JB? 😃🇲🇨 pic.twitter.com/CpkYHNwxI4
— McLaren (@McLarenF1) May 25, 2017
Button’s race at Formula 1 Monaco is dampened by the poor performance of the McLaren Honda. McLaren have not scored any points this year and are last in the constructors’ championship. At the Russian Grand Prix, Alonso failed to run a full race lap due to problems with the Honda power unit.