Survey Says…Gas Will Soon be Too Expensive to Drive Normally

According to a survey by the HNTB Corporation, 63% of the respondents to the survey are either “extremely” or “somewhat” confident that gas will soon be too expensive to continue to drive normally.

22% of the respondents to the study were “extremely confident” that gas will soon be too expensive to drive normally. Another 41% are “somewhat confident” that their driving habits will have to change in accordance with high gas prices. That tallys up for a grand total of 63% of American motorists believing that gas will be so expensive that their time spent driving will sharply decline.

How high will gas have to go before people opt for public transportation over driving? $4.90 per gallon was the tipping point for 42% of those surveyed. However, only 14% of those surveyed said that public transportation was an option because of convenience, while only 6% of those surveyed cited environmental conservation as a reason to take public transportation.

It is very easy to dismiss survey data of this kind or any kind for that matter; surveys all depends on how the questions are asked and what the demographic of the people surveyed are. With gas prices hovering at or above $4.00 a gallon, high prices are certainly on peoples minds right now. The bigger point is that people are responding and the responses are striking and, frankly, accurate. People are already changing their driving habits due to the increased gas prices. This change in habit is not only affecting driving conditions but it is also having an impact on public transportation in cities across America.

How much must gas cost before you start taking the bus to work?

Source: HNTB

Andrew Meggison was born in the state of Maine and educated in Massachusetts. Andrew earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Government and International Relations from Clark University and a Master’s Degree in Political Science from Northeastern University. Being an Eagle Scout, Andrew has a passion for all things environmental. In his free time Andrew enjoys writing, exploring the great outdoors, a good film, and a creative cocktail.

 

Andrew Meggison

Andrew Meggison was born in the state of Maine and educated in Massachusetts. Andrew earned a Bachelor's Degree in Government and International Relations from Clark University and a Master's Degree in Political Science from Northeastern University. In his free time Andrew enjoys writing, exploring the great outdoors, a good film, and a creative cocktail. You can follow Andrew on Twitter @AndrewMeggison